On April 19-21 we will host the 6th edition of the ¡Viva el Bajo! South Texas Double Bass Festival (please check www.vivaelbajo.org).
Over the last six years we have had the honor of hosting some of the most celebrated bassists of our time here at UTPA. Watching students interact with and learn from our guests and each other is an amazing sight, but perhaps the most important outcome is how they have been inspired to love the bass and to share their passion with others.
This year we are proud to welcome James VanDemark, the double bass professor at the Eastman School of Music as our featured guest artist. Mr. VanDemark will present master classes and perform a recital at the UTPA Student Union Theater on Saturday evening. Following the recital will be a reception to which you are cordially invited. This will be a great opportunity to relax and visit with all of our guests.
¡Viva el Bajo! 2013 will have lots of activities and offerings. Several guest artists from across Texas will also perform and present. We will have:
NEW – Bass Guitar Workshop, led by Mr. Tal Hazon (Harwell MS);
- Young Bassist Program, led by Ms. Sonya Martinez (Kennedy MS) and Ms. Kate Jones (Tarleton State University and Abilene Philharmonic Orchestra);
- String Making Presentation by D’Addario and Co.
- Body Alignment and Injury Prevention Workshop with Dr. Edward Reyna, Dr. of Physical Therapy;
- Master classes with Mr. VanDemark (Eastman School of Music), Dr. Mark Morton (Texas Tech University) and Kate Jones (Tarleton State University);
- Bow repair and maintenance workshop by Dr. William Rubink;
- Viennese Violone and historical bows workshop by Dr. George Amorim;
- Instrument and accessories exhibits by Antonio Strad Violin Shop, Quantum Bass Center, Guitar Center, D’Addario and Co.;
- And a lot more!
All concerts are free and open to the public.
For more info visit: www.vivaelbajo.org
¡Viva el Bajo!
www.ArtsRGV.com, a community calendar since 2006