As Edinburg is the county seat of Hidalgo County, most major county government offices are located there including:
- Criminal District Attorney’s Office
- District Courts
- County Courts at Law of Hidalgo County
- Community Supervision and Corrections Department
- Hidalgo County Juvenile Probation Department
- Hidalgo County Sheriff’s Department
- County Judge Office
- Tax Assessor/Collector Offic
- County Treasurer Office
- County Auditor
- Veterans Services
- Hidalgo County Commissioner’s Precinct Four represents Edinburg on the Hidalgo County County Commissioner’s Court.
Several state government agencies have offices in Edinburg. This includes:
- Thirteenth Court of Appeals
- Texas Attorney General’s Child Support Unit
- Texas departments of Health Services
- Human Services
- Protective and Regulatory Services
- Public Safety
- Texas Youth Commission has a facility near Edinburg
- The Texas Department of Criminal Justice operates two facilities, the Lopez Unit and the Segovia Unit, in Edinburg.
Federal Government offices include the United States Border Patrol Rio Grande Valley Sector Headquarter is located at 4400 South Expressway 281, Edinburg, Texas.
U. S. Congressman Rubén Hinojosa U.S. House of Representative for Texas’s 15th congressional district have a regional office in Edinburg.